- Born June 3, 1936 in Bara Banki (India); naturalized American citizen.
- Education: M.A. (Urdu), Lucknow University, Lucknow, 1955.
- M.A. (Linguistics), University of California, Berkeley, 1961.
- Consultant, Hindi-Urdu Program, University of Minnesota, 1961-62.
- Lecturer, Department of Linguistics, University of Chicago, 1962-63.
- Instructor, Department of Linguistics, University of Chicago, 1963-68.
- Visiting Lecturer, University of Pennsylvania, Summer 1964.
- Assistant Professor, Department of South Asian Languages and Civilizations, University of Chicago, 1968-71.
- Visiting Lecturer, University of California, Berkeley, Summer 1968.
- Visiting Assistant Professor, University of Rochester, Summer 1970.
- Visiting Associate Professor, Aligarh Muslim University, Aligarh (India), 1971-72.
- Associate Professor, Department of South Asian Languages and Civilizations, University of Chicago, 1971-98.
- Chairman, Department of South Asian Languages and Civilizations, University of Chicago, 1985-91.
- Professor, Department of South Asian Languages and Civilizations, University of Chicago, 1998-2001.
Service to the Profession
Asian Literature Program of the Asia Society, New York City
Princeton University Press
University of Chicago Press
University of California Press
Shastri Indo-Canadian Institute
National Endowment for the Humanities.
=Member, South Asia Regional Council, Association for Asian Studies, 1976-79.
=Member, Committee on Scholars of Asian Descent, Association for Asian Studies, 1981-84.
=Member, South Asia Regional Council, Association for Asian Studies, 1990-93.
=Member, Advisory Committee, Berkeley Urdu Language Program in Pakistan, University of California, Berkeley, 1975- .
=Member, Board of Trustees, America-Pakistan Research Organization, 1989-93 (now merged with the AIPS).
=Member, Board of Trustees, American Institute of Pakistan Studies, 1993-95.
نہایت خوشی ہوئی آپ کو پڑھ کر اور آپ کے بارے جان کر۔االلہ پاک آپکو ہمیشہ خوش و خرم رکھے اور آپکے گھو کو پر رحمتیں نازل فرمئے۔
We, a research group on folk culture and religion at Kolkata, want your permission to translate your well known article, ‘The Maulana Who Loved Krishna’ in Bengali which was published in EPW. Next issue of our little magazine will contain different articles on Sufi influence. Thanks and Regards.
Terribly sorry for my tardy response. I hope you went ahead and translated and published the article in Bengali. My pleasure.
Thanks and our respect to you Sir. We will send you the published copy magazine after publication.
Dear Mr Naim,
Read your article on the ‘Prophecies’ of Shah Naimat-ullah Wali. Thanks for saving my soul.
Dear Mr. Naim, I seen your article on TRF pubished in DAWNin April 2015. I m grandson of TRF and lives in India. I m very impressed and got lot of insight about my Grandfather Lt Shri Tirath Ram Firozpuria. I have a photograph of TRF, if u need I can share the same as thousands of their readers in both India and Pakistan are missing as it is not available in any of his novels.
Thanks a lot.
Waiting for your feedback
Leave a comment